Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I must have broken some sort of language barrier.

So, This is a blog-worthy small victory that happened on Friday but I felt I needed to mention since I talked with a Japanese student on the phone yesterday.

So on Friday it was decided that we were going to Karaoke, however some of our SGE students didn't know where or when. So in the middle of class someone called me. I missed the phone call so I texted the person in Japanese letting them know I have class but if it was ok that I would call them at 12. I received a text saying that person would call me. At around 12:15 I got a phone call from Kazuya asking where and when is kareoke? I tell him I have no clue where we are meeting but that its at 9. I thought we were meeting on the 3rd floor. I then concluded that I would talk with the IJST ryuugakusei (exchange student) that is organizing it, then text him where we are meeting. He replied that he understood and would look forward to my text. with that we hung up.


sure you're wondering--what's the big deal dre? so what?

I HAD THIS WHOLE CONVERSATION IN JAPANESE!!! Without gestures pictures or the person infront of me.

I remembered this because another Kazuya (yes I know two of them) invited me to shyogi club (japanese chess) and I had to tell him I had tons of homework, projects and presentations to deal with.

WOO HOO! Go me for little victories!!!
Anyways....
まったね! <--I totally want to get this input on my laptop to type in Japanese.

--signing off for now--
dre

2 comments:

Brenda said...

To think I only know Spanish & English...how boring! I might have to rent some audio cd's at the library and teach myself Japanese...just in case you forget your English! LOL! Wat to go Nysh!

Unknown said...

*sniff* I'm so proud of my baby! :P

Just caught some pics of you on facebook, and I would like to say that I miss you very, very much, and I'm happy you're having such a good time! I can't wait to hear all about your crazy times in Japan when you get home, and I have a feeling you'll be cooking some awesome Japenese dishes in the apartment this year.

Anyway, I miss you and I love you!

-Your sister from another mister.