Saturday, June 14, 2008

sure it looks perfectly innocent....

This is a sign I took from google images since this situation was so traumatic I couldn't even take a picture of the sign outside.
I'd like to start this blog by letting everyone know that I was not affected by the Sendai Earthquake that happened yesterday. My field trip was in Northern Japan however I was not even close to where it happened. ;) I'm safe and sound. There are a few SGE students who were calling home to make sure everything was ok.

Now onto my weekend adventure to Anamizu, Anamizu is a coastal city in Northern Japan. KIT has a conference house/building there that we stayed in. We had a great time on the way there stopping at a museum to do some research for our rube goldberg machine projects. Then stopped at a fisherman warf and finally arrived at the conference house. the place was like a small dorm. During our orientation before the trip the girls and guys were reminded that the only way to get clean at Anamizu was to use the public bath .

Now, I would like to preface this with what I thought a public bath is--individual showers followed by a dip in a tub with a few people. As getting naked infront of people isn't my forte I decided that I would just take a shower and not have a girl bonding experience in the tub. I didn't give it another thought (you can see this is getting to the dre is dumb part). After the awesome Japanese Style BBQ I got back to the dorms and discovered the truth of my situation--the showers and bath are all open spaced. After me and the other american girl had a minor (ok, major) freak out we watched the Japanese students get in without even a care >.<
If the public bath wasn't enough though we got the 6:30 am wakeup call the next morning. Speakers, wired through out the whole building started playing annoying-shoot-yourself-in-the-face classical music. We were then corralled for a 7 am morning gathering in which we were forced to go exercise. At that hour in the morning I decided crying wasn't the right way took look at things--I decided laughing my ass off after the morning gathering was a better idea (my roommates at one point thought I was crazy).

We then left at 9:30am and arrived at Wajima a fisherman town and visited a public market, our next stop was a mountain temple (Soiji temple) before arriving in an exhausted cluster to Nishikawa Heights.

Needless to say it was an incredible experience--if not a bit traumatic at times. I had a great time. 
gotta finish some homework.
まったね!!
^.^
--signing off for now--
dre

2 comments:

Strlady said...

The story about the public baths was so incredibly funny I told everyone I met about it. Sorry, but it was hilarious.

Nora said...

:) my mother was four months pregnant with me when she went to the baths. Aside from being a head taller than everyone there.... she said the little japanese grandmothers were all fawning all over her. :)
mmm, americans and the naked. always fun.