Thursday, June 26, 2008

5 guys and a baccho

So 2 weekends ago was my program's long weekend. In an effort to escape the grasps of Kanazawa at least for a bit, I planned with 5 other guys to go on a trip to Kyoto and Osaka. Last minute another 2 girls were added.

Sometimes traveling with that many people was a bit of a mendokusai (pain in my ass) but also with that many people I had a great time.

There was a lot of stuff that I discovered while on this trip.

1. hotels can be very good and cheap at the same time in Japan.
2. I actually have the power to stop mysef from buying a cheap computer screen in den den town (osaka's version of akihabara).
3. Japanese women spend a ton of money on clothing
4. I will always compare US public transportation to Japan and the US will never be up to par with the convenience and timeliness of Japanese public transportation.
5. I cant wait for the end of this program to do more sightseeing.

In Kyoto I saw kinkakuji, kiyomizutera and went to gion (geisha district). I had my first taste of shabu shabu which is thin slices of meat that I boil myself. There were a lot of us so we got our own room--tons of fun.

In Osaka I went shopping tried my hand at pachinko and ate some delicious okonomiyaki (i can't describe it so look it up!!) oishii desu! (tasty!!)

I gotta run to class but I'll post about this last weekend with my host family.

--signing off for now--
dre

No comments: